We are looking for a vibrant debut novel for young adults/ adults, a book set in today’s multi-cultural Britain. Sharp dialogue, a story that’s got the feel of here and now, the street and the city today. Atmosphere is important, both physical and psychological. It can be any city in the UK but it must be a real city. No fantasy.
The prize is £1000 and possible publication by Everything with Words.
The short list will be judged by Patrice Lawrence. We’re hoping to find someone who can capture the feel of the city, the sound and tone of how people speak, their raw thoughts, hopes and fears.
Entries may be submitted from Friday May 4th 2018
Last day for entry December 5th 2018.
Shortlist announced January 25th 2019
Winner announced February 22nd 2019
Terms and conditions
- The competition is open to any writer living in the UK, agented or without an agent.
- Entries may be submitted by the author or his or her agent.
- The novel must be a previously unpublished novel written in English.
- Although the entries will be looked at anonymously, they must be entered in the author’s name.
- The novel must be original, fictional and entirely the author’s own work.
- The finished work should be between 40.000 and 70.000 words long.
- The submission of the novel will be taken as an agreement that Everything with Words can publish the novel.
- Please submit the first five thousand words and a separate summary of not more than 500 words to Mikka, In the subject line you should put YA competition. In your letter you should mention that you have read and accepted the terms and conditions.
- If you are short-listed you will be asked to submit the whole work by January 30th 2019.